googlee20a69388d4c5211.html

Thursday, March 25, 2010

All That Jazz


I have a request to all of you Ottawa-Gatineau folks and that is to go see Renee Yoxon and Francois Gravel, they just blew me away. Renee has been mentioned in a previous post however she is well deserving of another.
After herding some friends together on a Monday night and pretty easily convincing them into drinks and Jazz, we went over to Collection & Bar 56 in the market to hear Renee and Francois do their thing. We took our seats, ordered our drinks, and got comfortable as we waited for Yoxon and Gravel to begin. The walls were filled with artwork which we all admired while sipping our Martinis. We were a diverse group of Jazz listeners and first timers which made it interesting to see reactions. As much as I loved hearing Renee sing through my computer, I hadn't had the opportunity to hear her live. She was better live which I didn't think possible since I already enjoyed her music. It was true, they were simply amazing! I caught a few friends moving to the beat and others eyeing the dance floor. The beauty of this cozy corner was that no one was far away but it wasn't so crowded that we felt like we couldn't breathe. It was a perfect Monday night outing besides the fact that my martini consumption should have been about two less than it was. I couldn't help myself with those tasty Apple and Raspberry martini's.
The Outcome was that everyone wanted to return on another Monday night to hear the likes of Renee & Francois.
I decided against bringing my camera as it was a night for me to kick back, relax and take in the beautiful sights and sounds of the night! These two hidden gems will soon be found so go see them while cover is cheap! For all of you out of towners, you can listen to Renee on her website




Every Monday Renee Yoxon and Francois Gravel play right


below Mercury Lounge at Bar 56 starting at 9 pm and


Guess what??


NO COVER at 56 Byward Market Square in Ottawa, Ontario


Future Shows


Ellington: The Sacred Concerts with Impressions in Jazz at Dominion Chalmers United Church (355 Cooper Street, Ottawa, ON)

Saturday, March 27, 8:00pm, $25


Participating in the NAC’s distance education series,Manhattan on the Rideau masterclass with Peter Eldridge at the NAC’s Fourth Stage.

Tuesday, April 6th, 12:00pm - 2:00pm, no cover.


Vineyards Wine Bar & Bistro (54 York Street, in the Cellar, Ottawa, ON)

Tuesday, April 13th, 7:00pm - 10:00pm, no cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment