googlee20a69388d4c5211.html

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Book Recommendations

On this rainy day what would be better to write about than great books to read. I've personally noticed that during the summer months the only way I read is if I have already picked out a few books prior to the sunny days. Isn't it nice to go to the beach on a lazy Sunday with a good book in tow? I was trying to come up with a strong list with a few light reads but as I wrote out the list I realized that most of the books I love are controversial, dense or dark so I asked a few people to pick their favorite books and for the most part they were still not the most uplifting but excellent reads.
I chose quite a bit of 20th century American fiction due to the many changes in society, political, sexual revolutions and inequalities that occurred during this time. Although much of the writing may be politically incorrect and even outrageous at times it allows one to see how we got from there to here which makes for a great read. Just a warning the first few books are not for the faint at heart and if you need your spirits to be brought up it is probably not the time to read these books.
1. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne  2. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
3. Rabbit Redux by John Updike        4. Atonement by Ian Macewen
5. McTeague by Frank Norris            
The next few are recommendations by others that I mostly haven't read but believe to be good due to respecting their opinions.
6. Crime and Punishment by Fyordr Dostoyavsky ( A dense read)
7. A Child's night dream by Oliver Stone ( I was told if you love his films, you'll love this book)
8. Stormy weather by Carl Hiaasen ( I was told that it is a light and wacky read)
9. Confessions of a shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella ( I was told an extremely light read)

I added a couple links so that it would be easier to find some of the books. Just thought it would be nice to have a few book ideas to enjoy during the summer months.
Until next time, this is one n'd Jen signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment