googlee20a69388d4c5211.html

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dreams Should We Just Give Up or Persevere?

As a person who has a deep desire to have a career in the arts, my question today is at what point do you say to yourself, it's time to be logical and find a new dream? If it was myself answering this question I would probably answer never but then I would need to ask myself is this out of stubborn pride or the fact that I actually have ability? I'm relatively normal, I just have big goals that I can't seem to let go of. It's hard to make the conscious decision to leave your home and take a chance, if it's only merely a chance. If someone called me up today and said listen this is where it's at and we'll give you a shot, I'd absolutely be there. With no contacts how does one get those calls? I'm networking but self promoting can only go so far.
As previously said in a former post, I have been using twitter to network but it seems as though the people with the connections don't respond as much as I would like. In my opinion it seems as though it is alright to promote a movie that is already being made but as a unknown screenwriter and a photographer, it is put into the category of promoting. Aren't we all promoting ourselves in ways? When actors go on talk shows to talk about their movies aren't they doing the same thing? When one goes for an interview aren't we promoting our best qualities, in the hopes that we get the job?
We are all unique creatures with something to give and when we find that something that we love, shouldn't we try.
I read this article that talked about people being self absorbed and that twitter was part of this. Who wants to hear about how many cookies we ate or what we accomplished today. My answer to that is that sometimes it's nice to be able to put yourself out there in the hopes that someone is listening and it isn't always about the self, sometimes it's about what one can do for others, trying to put a smile on someones face and plainly just saying you know what I hear you. Yes life can be monotonous at times but pushing through and trying to be who you are can be worth it. We might not all make a million dollars a year doing what we love but I say if we tried at least we won't have regrets.
Until next time, this one n'd Jen signing off

3 comments:

  1. HI, Jen...

    You've contacted me, by twitter and told me to check on your blog. Curiously I've entered and saw this post, really interesting for me, that may be on the "same road" you are.

    I am also searching for a chance to work with what I love, that is documentary, music, video and movies in general. And I have been also finding a lot of problems to go after my dreams... but I don't plan on giving up.

    What I've been doing right now, is planning to working for some time on my own, pursuing to create a good portfolio, so that I can try this as my real career.

    Hope we can make it soon... :-)

    Fabio

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also contacted me and I was curious as to what you had to say. On my first week on Twitter it was quite depressing. I didn't want to follow so many people when I wasn't even sure who they were. It wsn't about the numbers for me. Little by little I am adding quality or simply NICE people.. I made connection with several people who I enjoy twittering with. One is a mom, while the other is an author. We met because she decided to Pay it Forward for the author and held a contest to sell his book. Well, I won and read his book in one day. Then I payed it forward with a contest purchasing that same book by the author to give to a lucky winner. So it was really a chance to help an author to promote his book...no strings attached. He continues to write and is so appreciative. I don't plan on becoming a writer, but I would not have had these positive interactions had it not been for Twitter. However, had I been an inspiring author or writer, this could have been an avenue by which to help pursue my dreams. On the other hand, there are the famous people who only post comments and rarely @ anyone or to the same people...I follow, unfollow these people depending on my mood. lol. Then there are those famous people who unfollow people by the masses. What to really make of this? It's both understandable and insulting at the same time. I guess one has to have thick skin. So you keep pushing and making your dreams come true. You are important to a lot of people and what you have to say is important. Good luck! Aloha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice to get such great responses. I hope you continue to enjoy the blog and feel free to comment.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete